Summer and early fall in Western North Carolina are easily some of the best times to visit and there are a plethora of activities and events to fill your time, no matter what month you’re staying. To help you plan the perfect summer getaway, we’ve put together a list of some of the best Western North Carolina summer events from April to October, so pick your favorite and leave more room for having fun!
- APR 1 – MAY 26 – Biltmore Blooms: Celebrate the arrival of summer with gorgeous blooming colors on the grounds and gardens surrounding Biltmore Estate.
- APR 24 – The Carolina Mountain Cheese Fest: An unmissable festival for lovers of all things cheese, you can indulge in everything from gouda to gruyere and enjoy live acoustic music in a relaxed atmosphere.
- APR 29 – MAY 1 – Spring Herb Festival: Celebrate one of the most essential ingredients in any dish, the humble herb, at a festival going strong for its *fourth* decade!
- The Asheville Tourists baseball season starts this month and runs through September 11. They’re a great team and any baseball fans that happen to be visiting during one of their games should certainly check them out.
- Western NC Farmers Market – A 36-acre farmers market with free admission, they come highly recommended and are right nearby in Asheville. Check them out for fresh fruit and vegetables, local crafters with handmade goods, and so much more!
- MAY 27 – JUN 5 – Asheville Beer Week: Calling all beer lovers! This is one event you won’t want to miss with tastings, dinners prepared for specialty beer pairings, local craft breweries, and other beer-themed events all throughout the week.
- Art in Asheville – The area around Engadine has some fantastic collections of art and we recommend making a visit to the Asheville Museum of Art, River Arts District, and the Folk Art Center to get the full experience.
- JUN 23 – 26 – Chow Chow Culinary Festival: Educational and informative, Chow Chow is an event for true foodies, a celebration of the rich and unique culinary history of Southern Appalachia. Held for three weekends every year, it provides an opportunity to learn more about the local community and what makes it so special as well as try some delicious food!
- The weather is hot during this time of year and nothing feels better than a dip in a refreshing swimming hole. Sliding Rock, Looking Glass, and the appropriately named Skinny Dip Waterfalls are all great options for those in search of a summer swim.
- JUL 4 – Join in on the fun and celebrate America’s birthday with spectacular fireworks and local celebrations in the surrounding communities.
- JUL 28 – 31 – Folkmoot Summer Fest: Get a taste of global cultures with participants and performers from over 200 countries taking part in this unique celebration of the peoples of the world and their distinct heritage.
- AUG 4 – 7- Chow Chow Culinary Festival – Weekend 2.
- AUG 13 – 14- Sourwood Festival: Dedicated to all things honey, you can taste a wide variety of local honey and stroll the stalls of 200 vendors with food, handcrafted goods, and live music.
- SEP 2 – NC Apple Festival: Take a bite of a crisp and sweet apple with a farmers market dedicated to Henderson County’s historic apple industry, the 7th largest nationwide.
- SEP 8 – 11- Chow Chow Culinary Festival – Weekend 3.
- SEP 24 – Blue Ridge Pride Festival: Show your colors at the area’s largest pride festival and check out the more than 150 vendors showing up to support the LGBTQ community along with live music, events, and much more.
- Witness the change-over of the seasons with brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow brightening up the countryside and creating a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors. The third week of the month is considered the “peak” and is generally the best time to see them.
- Blue Ridge Parkway – One of the best ways to see the fall colors is with a scenic drive through the countryside. It is a wonderfully sublime experience, especially around sunrise or sunset, and is sure to create wonderful memories and add something special to any October getaway.
With so many great Western North Carolina summer events, it can be hard to decide when to visit. We hope this handy guide has helped elucidate your options so you can spend less time planning and more time enjoying everything the area has to offer! After deciding on the perfect time to visit, book your stay at our bed and breakfast near Asheville! Make this summer one to remember with activities for everyone and a vibrant local culture just waiting to be explored.